Arc of Aloha: From Hawaii to Cuba and New York City

Hands-On
Teaching in a Global World

Sharing of my Professional Development trip to Cuba the first week of October 2011 to visit schools.  I was 1 of 26 art teachers chosen to do research in Cuba on Art Education.  Also share examples of outstanding “Global Art” just viewed in NYC at the NAEA Convention March 2012.  Talk about motivating student awareness of global challenges in today’s society and how to do creative muti-media art projects to communicate these challenges with others.  Time allowing, I would love to have art materials available for attendees to create and express their feeling of “Building Global Communities.”

Cheri Keefer
‘Iolani School
K-6 Art teacher at Iolani School 27 years, previously taught at Kailua High School, Hawaii School for Girls, Honolulu Academy of Arts, The Contemporary Museum, University of Hawaii College of Continuing Education.  BAE from Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas.  MAE from the University of Hawaii.  Active member of National Art Education Association, previous officer. As a successful art teacher, I want to motivate my students by encouraging them to explore the art materials given them to use, constantly use their imagination, and create a piece of art reflecting their personality while understanding the assignment.  Have fun learning!!!!